Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Trying New Things - Grinding Our Own Meat

Last week, I shared how I overcame my fear and canned tomatoes for the first time. This week isn't about overcoming a fear, but finally getting off my duff and doing something I've been meaning to for some time now.

Ever since Marye told the world about an additive in hamburger meat known industrially as "pink slime", I've been determined to grind our own beef. But this is coming from the same woman that's been determined to finish getting rid of the boxes sitting on my upstairs landing since we moved here.

Procrastinator? Me? Nooo...

It just takes me forever and a day to get around to doing things.

Ahem.

Now, you may be wondering what the big deal is about grinding your own meat. Well, aside from the health and safety aspect outlined so eloquently by Marye in the link above, there's another benefit that simply can't be argued with...

It's cost-effective.

I would love to have grass-fed beef, and we still plan on adding a cow to our farm someday, but right now it's just not feasible. Even if I could find someone in the near vicinity selling, I simply cannot afford it right now. I can afford to buy chuck roast when it's on sale, though, and it's undeniably cheaper than ground chuck. And seriously, why should I pay some grocery-store butcher extra to grind my meat when I've got eager and willing hands right here at home anxious for the chance to do it for me?

grinding the beef

Using the meat-grinder attachment to our KitchenAid stand mixer, it took an average of two minutes for every five pounds of chuck, give or take. For healthier eating, peace of mind and saving money, who can't afford a few minutes for that?

Now it's your turn! Have you tried something new in the past week? Link up your stories here or (if you don't have a blog) share your story on my Facebook page so others can come by and be encouraged to try new things. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to!

2 comments:

Q said...

We did this in our Vitamix. Fabulous!

Wendy said...

Q, I remember the Vitamix commercials from my childhood...I was always wishing my parents would buy one, they look so cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails