Monday, August 29, 2011

The Final Post of Barefoot MomLady

Did I ever tell you the story about how I got started blogging? No? Well, it's about time I did. Get a cup of your favorite beverage, and maybe some cookies, and I'll tell you.

It all started back in 2004, just a few months after my beloved Eric and I tied the knot. I heard about this new thing called "blogging", and how Wil Wheaton (the kid from Star Trek: The Next Generation) had gotten a book deal from writing what amounted to an online journal. Now, I wasn't ever expecting to get any kind of book deal but I loved to write short stories about my life so I thought I'd start one for the fun of it. But what on earth would I call it?

Well, I was going through an identity crisis at the time...you know, the whole "I'm re-married now, I've got a new last name, and instead of being the breadwinner like I was since 1989, I'm a homeschooling housewife now so who the heck am I" thing. And since the only thing that hadn't changed about me was being a mother to three beautiful daughters, girls that insisted on giving me a superhero nickname (because I was just that cool), I decided to use that and began writing "The Adventures of MomLady".

I really loved that blog.

Alas, just when I'd started to really find a growing number of blogging friends, just as the whole "Mom Bloggers" thing was beginning to explode across the internet, I had to shut it down. It was like having a piece of my heart ripped out.

Eventually, the pull of blogging lured me back in. By that time, I was in the midst of successive pregnancies, enjoying and advocating the beauty of homebirth, and joking with my husband about being barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen all the time, when my two big girls (the eldest had left home for college by then) renamed me Barefoot MomLady. And that's how this blog was born.

Over this past year, though, I've felt led to something different. At first I thought it was time to change my attitude about this hobby and join thousands of other women by monetizing my blog. I bought my domain name and started looking for a professional blog designer. But by the time I found who I wanted to hire, God began telling me that Barefoot MomLady was not the direction He wanted me to go in. So, I prayed and asked Him what He wanted me to do.

And this is the answer He gave me.



Unpaved Roads will be a place of honesty, transparency and (I pray) encouragement. From struggles in the valleys to joy on the mountaintops, I will share my journey as a farmer's wife and homeschooling mom as I walk by faith, not by sight.

It's been a privilege to share my story up to this point here with you. I've been truly blessed by your comments and your friendship. Thank you all so much for that. I'm excited to see what God has in store for us on Unpaved Roads. I hope to see you there.

In obedience, faith and love,
Wendy

3 comments:

New Southern Pantry said...

I can't wait to see where this new "Unpaved Road" cares you! One thing we know for sure is God is walking before us, regardless of the road or path we are on.

Carol J. Alexander said...

Can't wait to hop over there and check out the new digs.

Petula said...

Wow, Wendy, I had no idea. This is great especially if this is what you're supposed to do. You come up with such perfect names for your blog. I'm going to click over now before I forget! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails